Meet the Tiedemann team
Our commitment to clients is solidified in our structure as a partnership set up to hand down equity to future employees. Meet the Tiedemann team here.
Senior Vice President
Michael is responsible for working with clients and prospective clients and is a member of the firm’s business development strategy team.
Prior to joining Tiedemann in 2017, Michael worked in senior diplomatic roles within the U.S. government, serving as a financial diplomat in Africa, Europe, and the Middle East spanning the tenures of U.S. Treasury Secretaries Geithner, Lew and Mnuchin. Most recently, Michael served as the first United States Treasury Attaché appointed to Qatar and Kuwait and opened the Treasury Department’s office in Doha, Qatar in August 2015. Prior to that role, Michael served as the United States Treasury Policy Advisor for Europe. In this role, he was appointed as the head of the United States Delegation to the Committee of Experts on the Evaluation of Anti-Money Laundering Measures and the Financing of Terrorism before the Council of Europe in Strasbourg, France. Michael has also served in a variety of roles in the U.S. Intelligence Community and in the Office of General Counsel at the U.S. Treasury working closely with the National Security Council at the White House working on issues related to countering ISIS, Al-Qaeda, Iran, Ukraine/Russia, Syria, and North Korea.
He is a frequent speaker on international security, the Middle East and illicit finance issues. Past speaking engagements include lectures at The Council on Foreign Relations, The Aspen Institute, The Atlantic Council, Harvard University, Yale Law School, Stanford, Columbia University, Johns Hopkins University and Northwestern Business School in Doha.
Certifications and memberships include:
- Visiting Fellow, Harvard Kennedy School’s Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs
- Adjunct Professor, Boston University Pardee School of Global Studies
- Deputy Executive Director, The Trilateral Commission
- Member, Atlantic Council
- Chairman Emeritus, United States Holocaust Memorial Museum Next Generation Board
- Member, Dana Farber Cancer Institute
- National Board Member and Chairman of the Finance Committee, Susan G. Komen Foundation
- Board Member, Public Private Partnership for Justice Reform in Afghanistan
- Board Member, Halo Maritime Defense Systems
- Board Member, Aspen Institute Vanguard Society of Fellows
- Member, Concordia
Michael earned a Juris Doctor degree from Boston University School of Law, a Master of Arts from Boston University’s Frederick S. Pardee School of Global Studies, and a Bachelor of Arts in History from George Washington University. Originally from Brookline, Massachusetts, Michael resides in New York City.