Why Having Too Many Executors Can Melt an Estate
Jim Bertles sat down with David Lenok, senior editor at WealthManagement.com, to discuss what can go wrong when a client appoints too many executors to their estate. Through a celebrity example - Tom Carvel, the creator of soft serve ice cream - they uncover how you can help clients make wise decisions about who to appoint as trustees and executors –– and particularly, how to avoid selecting people who could potentially have a conflict of interest when making decisions.
They walks us through:
- The difference between the roles of executor and trustee
- What tends to spark disputes between trustees and beneficiaries
- Why having several executors can be counterproductive and complicate an estate
- What qualities make for a good executor
- How to politely play devil’s advocate with your clients to make sure they’re choosing the right executors and trustees
- And more!
Listen to the podcast here.